Fedex Package Security Tips:
- FedEx delivers joy with each package, connecting customers to loved ones around the world every day. But while FedEx team members do their utmost to ensure the safety and security of every package they deliver, there are steps all our customers can take for added peace of mind.
- Customize your deliveries. Use FedEx Delivery Manager® to customize your residential deliveries. You can change the time and location of delivery, request a signature upon delivery and even ask FedEx to hold your package if you know you’ll be out of the house when we try to deliver. Sign up for free online and avoid the risk of unattended packages sitting out on your doorstep.
- Consider an alternate destination. When you order something online, consider sending the package to your workplace or to a family member, friend or neighbor who is home during the day to accept delivery. When you know someone will be available to receive your delivery, you eliminate the possibility of your specially ordered gift being left unattended.
- Send it to your nearest FedEx Office location. You can have your deliveries sent to the nearest FedEx Office location and we’ll hold it for you for up to five business days. FedEx provides this service at no added cost. If it’s a FedEx Express® package, you can also send have your package sent to one of our FedEx Express stations. Find the location nearest you at fedex.com/locate.
- Request a signature. Many packages today are sent without requiring a signature for delivery. If you’re shipping something of high value — or you just want to be sure items aren’t left unattended — you can require a signature for packages to be released. Either the shipper or the recipient can make this request.
- Request a vacation hold. Taking a holiday trip to visit family or friends? You can request a vacation hold on all shipments for up to 14 days.
- Redirect your packages even when they’re already on the way. With FedEx Delivery Manager, you’ll be alerted to every FedEx® package headed to your home, even if you don’t have the tracking number. If you know you won’t be home and want to send the delivery somewhere else, just redirect it to where you’ll be, or another secure location.
- Ask for a ring. Use FedEx Delivery Manager to let your driver know you want a ring—or a knock. You can leave instructions for drivers to always ring your doorbell or knock on your door when a package is being left. Do you like your packages left behind the big planter, or tucked behind the grill beside the back door? Use FedEx Delivery Manager to leave one-time-only or standing instructions for where you want FedEx to leave your deliveries. You can also let your driver know your instructions by calling 1.800.GoFedEx (1.800.463.3339).
If customers have concerns about the security of their deliveries they have options:
- They can have the shipment sent to where they are – not where they aren’t. In other words, if they are at work during the day they can have packages delivered to where they work. They can also choose to have things sent to a relative or neighbor who is home during the day.
- They can tell our driver where they would like packages left, for example, in the shed in the back yard, or behind the garage, etc. Our drivers can enter that information into their handheld computers for future deliveries.
- They can sign up for a free service called UPS My Choice, which sends a proactive email alert to the customer letting them know when their package is going to be delivered.
- As far as what to do if a shipment is stolen, UPS will instruct the individual to file a police report. The customer may also wish to call the shipper to get a replacement item shipped.